Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Dining Chair Makeover!




I've been needing chairs to go at the ends of my dining table for quite some time.  I just haven't seen any that I fell in love with.  On Craigslist I found these and saw the potential.  I got all 3 for $50! I love them just as much as any $150 chairs I saw AND I don't have to be the 
angry mom yelling "DON'T DROP ANYTHING ON THEM!" =D


I started with taking the cushions off.  The seats had a screw in each corner underneath that made it real simple.  Word of advice: if you have more than one, label each seat to the chair, the screw holes are different and it will be easier in the end! 
.  


The chairs weren't in bad shape, in need of a good wipe down.  I chose Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco. It matches some gilded buffet lamps I painted.  That's one thing I LOVE about ASCP.  I paint several different things the same color and it pulls the room together.  I didn't paint the Cane-back part just to see what it looked like and I loved it! 

The next step was the most tedious.  It ended up being a family affair.  We popped all the staples up with a 
flat-head screwdriver then pulled it out with pliers.




Save one of the pieces of fabric to use as a template.  I cut about an inch or two around the template.  Don't worry about making it perfect, I trimmed a lot off after stapling it onto the seat.


Start by folding the top over and stapling all across with a HEAVY-duty stapler.  Staple about 1 inch from the edge of the seat leaving 1/4 inch of space in between each staple.


My wonderful mother helped me keep the fabric tight as I stapled.  
She is the seat re-cover queen.  This made the process SO much easier (and special).


Fold the side across from the side you just stapled and do the same.


Fold in the sides and staple across, leaving the corners undone.  The corners are the last thing to do.  It might take a little trial and error.  This part takes one person pinch & tucking while the other staples.


Last step was screwing the seat back on the chairs!






Voila!

-Hannah



0 comments:

Post a Comment